Through our membership in the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts, Girl Guides of Canada is part of a global Movement to enable girls and young women to develop their fullest potential as responsible global citizens. WAGGGS brings together Girl Guiding and Girl Scouting Associations in 145 countries across the globe. It is the largest voluntary organization for girls and women in the world.
With 10 million members around the world, WAGGGS works with non-governmental organizations and United Nations programs and agencies as a global voice for girls and women in areas such as health, the environment and education. Young women are given opportunities to develop powerful leadership skills through WAGGGS' innovative education and advocacy programs and by attending programs at its four world centres: Our Chalet in Switzerland, Sangam in India, Pax Lodge in UK and Our Cabaña in Mexico.
Girl Guides of Canada's membership in WAGGGS enables Canadian girls and women to have a direct and positive impact on the lives of girls and women globally.
Check this page often for future opportunities at WAGGGS.
The WAGGGS World Centres are located in Mexico, England, India, Switzerland and Africa and offer unique opportunities for building self-development, life and leadership skills, learning and adventure, while fostering long-lasting friendships within the global sisterhood of Guiding. If you are 18 years of age or older and are interested in volunteering at any of the WAGGGS World Centres, visit the WAGGGS website and click on the World Centre of interest. In an effort to expedite applications, members should take note the following:
- Applicants must meet the membership requirements for GGC, which includes a valid police records check.
- Complete and send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org to be endorsed by the International Commissioner. These applications cannot be approved by provincial-level international advisers or any level commissioner/administrator.
Do not submit your application direct to the World Centre, as it cannot be processed without the endorsement of the International Commissioner. Such direct submission will delay consideration of your application and may result in disappointment to you.
- To ensure fair review and to address any questions or points of clarification that may be necessary, it is recommended that you submit your application to the International Commissioner a minimum of three weeks prior to the Centre's application deadline. You will be copied on the submission of your application to the World Centre you have selected.
- The International Commissioner must be copied on all correspondence between you and the World Centre that you are applying to.
- Upon a successful volunteer term, you may be eligible for a one-time subsidy offered through the Canadian World Friendship Fund.
Canadian World Friendship Fund
The Canadian World Friendship Fund is maintained through voluntary contributions from members and friends of Guiding, to help our members to experience Guiding internationally. It offers financial assistance to adult members who have been selected to accompany girls on nationally sponsored trips, to members attending international Guiding events as GGC representatives, and to girls and adults from other Guiding countries visiting Canada for special events.
To make a donation to the Canadian World Friendship Fund, please click here.