(position can be located in Halifax, Saint John or St. John’s)
*This position will remain open until filled.
*Start date for this position is flexible.
Girl Guides of Canada (GGC) empowers every girl to be everything she wants to be.
This is an excellent time to join one of Canada’s most trusted youth serving charities. Come join our amazing team as we work together to achieve our vision “a better world, by girls”!
GGC is actively searching for a Senior Accountant/Unified Banking Specialist to lead the financial reporting and unified banking in our East regional processing Centre (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador.)
The Senior Accountant/Unified Banking Specialist will:
- Prepare financial reporting for Provincial/Area/District Commissioners and Treasurers, including event and project cost accounting, as well as oversee Unit level banking and web-based financial tracking.
- Oversee budget finalization, variance tracking throughout the year and cashflow monitoring as required and treasury management.
- Prepare working papers for year-end audit.
- Oversee processes and protocols for: batch processing, quality monitoring, resolving deficit issues, responding to overdrafts and preparing statistical analysis including approximately 1000 local operating units led by volunteers.
- Set up requirements for depositing services for master and non-standard banking services, for credit limits and use of credit cards and protocols for suspension of use.
- Ensure standards for compliance reporting, fundraising, cashflow, collections, repayment plans as well as record retention are met.
- Review processing requirements and tools for unit cheques, EFT remittances, reconciliations, GST/HST remittances, inter-fund transfers, etc.
- Provide guidance to staff and volunteers on accounting standards, GST/HST rules and donation policies.
- Review and recommend modifications for training manuals, webinars and other communications tools for dissemination to volunteers for both documents and online methods of delivery.
- Provide supervision and mentorship to accounting clerks and Unit Banking Clerks in areas such as performance management, training and coaching, coordination of workload, etc.
- Prepare quality control reports and provide status report updates on a weekly basis to the Senior Manager, Finance and Administration.
You are the model candidate if:
- You hold a CPA designation and have 3-5 years’ full cycle accounting experience
- You have 3 years’ progressive experience in project management
- You are familiar with CRA requirements for charities and best practices for charitable fundraising
- You have a high level of comfort with data migration between financial systems
- You possess strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize to manage project timelines and resources
- You have strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- You have demonstrated proven success in relationship building and providing excellent customer service to both staff and volunteers. You understand customer needs and can design systems that meet user requirements.
- You have a strong aptitude for team development and collaborative project implementation
- You can explain finance to non-financial customers
- You have experience managing and motivating a diverse team of accounting staff to achieve optimum performance
- You have a passion for the mission of GGC
- Previous consulting experience (internal & external customers)
- Familiarity with Smart Sheets
- Working knowledge of Sage 300
- Comfort with Office365, Skype for Business and Microsoft Teams
- NFP/Voluntary sector experience
Does this sound like you? Then apply today.
Submit a cover letter and resume (as one file) with salary expectations to:
Leisa McKenzie – Manager, People & Culture
Girl Guides of Canada – Guides du Canada
50 Merton Street, Toronto, Ontario M4S 1A3
Girl Guides of Canada-Guides du Canada (GGC) recognizes and values the richness of human diversity in its many forms, and therefore strives to ensure environments where girls and women from all walks of life, identities, and lived experiences feel a sense of belonging and can participate fully.
Upon request, Girl Guides of Canada-Guides du Canada will make available reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities during the recruitment process. Accommodation requests should be made in advance to People & Culture.
We thank all candidates for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.