History of Guiding in NL

Newfoundland and Labrador’s first Guide Company was established in 1918 however it was not formally recognized until 1923 when Lady Elsie E. Allardyce, wife of the Governor, officially launched the Girl Guide movement in the Dominion by joining with the association in Great Britain. One year later eight Guide Companies, four Brownie Packs, and one Ranger Company were added. With Confederation in 1949, Girl Guides of Newfoundland joined with the Girl Guides of Canada-Guides du Canada.

In 1964, a permanent headquarters was established in St. John’s, housing the Provincial Office, Guide Shop, archives and meeting rooms. Today the office, archives and meeting rooms remain at the recently renovated headquarters however the Guide Shop is now online.

As a values-based organization, female leadership and role modelling are essential parts of Guiding. Girl Guides was designed to help young women grow into responsible citizens, the programs are geared to generate self-motivating skills and to teach specific skills needed as adults. Girl Guides of Canada-Guides du Canada, Newfoundland and Labrador Council is a voluntary organization open to all females.

17/10/2017 7:28:29 AM